Apr 27, 2015

Makhana Palak Curry

Makhana was an ingredient I associate with my childhood. We often had makhana curry when I was a child in Jharkhand, but the ingredient completely disappeared from my life soon after. It reappeared only after we shifted to our current house, and one of the things I am apprehensive about regarding our impending move to Hyderabad is that I might not get makhana any more.
I picked up a packet the other day, and impatient to use it, decided to make palak paneer with makhana instead of paneer. It was a huge hit, because both the kids loved squishing the fox nuts before chewing them. Definitely an ingredient I am going to use more of in the next few weeks.


1 cup makhana/ fox nuts
1 bunch spinach chopped fine
1 medium onion chopped
1 medium tomato chopped fine
2 tsp ginger garlic paste
1 tsp rai
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp jeera powder
Salt to taste
Cooking oil


Method:Heat oil and splutter mustard seeds. Once they stop spluttering, add onions, and saute till transparent.
Add ginger garlic paste, chopped tomatoes and the spices, and cook till mushy.
Meanwhile, blanch the spinach leaves for 2-3 minutes, and keep aside.
Add water and greens. Bring to boil, add salt, cover, and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
While the gravy is simmering, dry roast the makhana till they start browning. Add to the gravy, mix well, and let it simmer for 2-3 minutes.
Serve hot with rotis.

No comments:

Post a Comment