Jan 21, 2014

Pizza from scratch

The kids love pizza, and ever since I started baking my own bread, I've been wanting to make pizza from scratch. Haven't been able to do so yet, because most of my kids' pizza cravings are last minute ones, and I really don't have enough time to make the base. But this time, I planned it advance, and pulled it off!
Recipe is essentially a combination of two old ones, but when you do something for the first time, it is time to celebrate!

The pizza base was made by following my recipe for basic bread. After knocking the dough down, I rolled it into bases 1/8th inch in thickness, and let them stand for a further 20 minutes. I baked them for 10 minutes, before taking them out for assembly.


For pizza sauce
Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a kadhai. Add 4 garlic pots, and 1 medium onion (both chopped fine), and saute till the onion turns transparent. Add 4 medium tomatoes chopped into small bits, and cook on low with a cover on, till the tomatoes turn mushy. Add red chilli powder, salt and sugar to taste, and take off the fire. When cool, blend in the mixer till it gets a smooth consistency.

To assemble

Spread pizza sauce on a the partially baked pizza base, top with lots of grated cheese, and bake for a further 10 minutes.  Sprinkle oregano and chilli flakes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment