Jan 23, 2014

Khandavi

Khandavi was another of those dishes that I thought could only be bought from a farsan shop. That belief, perhaps, dates back to the time when I was really young, and I saw my mother trying to make it. For some reason, she could just not get it to behave, and never made it again. If an expert cook like her couldn't make khandavi, what hope did I have to even attempt it?
And then I came across this really easy recipe by Uma Raghavan, and though I was certain I wouldn't be able to pull it off, I had to try, and the results were yummy. Even easier to make than mor kuzhu, and that's saying a lot!

1 cup yogurt
3 tablespoons of chana flour
Pinch hing
Pinch haldi powder
Salt to taste
half green chilli
Slither of fresh ginger cut up



2 tsp sugar

For tempering
Curry leaves
Mustard seeds

Green chilli
 

For garnish
Grated coconut
Chopped coriander leaves 
 
Method
Put above in a blender and mix/grind well.
Pour mixture in a heavy based pot and cook on low heat stirring constantly till mixture thickens and leaves the side of the pot.
Pour this on a largish flat ungreased plate and spread thinly using a spattula.
Leave to cool for couple minutes, then cut into long strips and roll. Arrange this in flat dish.
 

In small bowl dissolve two small teaspoon sugar in little water  and sprinkle this over the rolls.
Heat a little oil, and temper the ingredients listed under tempering. Pour over the rolls.

Garnish with grated coconut and coriander.

No comments:

Post a Comment