Jan 23, 2014

Chilla

Another childhood favourite, one which my mother used to make pretty often, and which I would gobble up unabashedly. It is only now that I am cooking regularly, that I realise my mother probably had it as a back-up dish for all those days when she didn't really feel like cooking, but there was a family to be fed!
2 cups whole wheat flour/ atta
1/2 large cauliflower
green chillies to taste
baking soda- optional (I don't use it)
cooking oil
salt, garam masala to taste

Method:
Grate the cauliflower, mix well with the flour, and add water to make a batter (of dosa consistency)
Add the salt, chillis and garam masala and incorporate well. You can add the baking soda at this point.

Heat a tawa, lower the temperature by drizzling water on it. Pour two spoonfulls of batter, and spread in a circle. Put oil around the circumference, and let it cook on a low flame.
Once the side is browned, flip over, and let the other side cook too. 
Serve with pickles and/ or curds.

No comments:

Post a Comment