Sep 6, 2013

Rajasthani Dal Dhokli

I love the Gujarati dal dhokli almost as much as I love what my mother calls "alphabet soup", so when I saw a recipe for Rajasthani dal dhokli, I knew I had to try it out right away. Luckily, I had all the ingredients at home (including the most wonderful curry leaves I have tasted in a long, long time), so I didn't have to wait more than a few hours for it.

And it was every bit as wonderful as I hoped it would be.



For the dhokali
2 cup wheat flour

1/2 cup  gram flour
Red chili powder to taste
Jeera powder
Dhania powder
Salt to taste
Sesame seeds

Water

For the dal
100 gm split bengal gram + split red gram + split .green gram
 Red chili powder

Turmeric powder 
Salt to taste
Water


For the tadka
1 medium onion chopped lengthwise
4 cloves
1 broken dry red chili

1 tsp Zeera
1 tsp Mustard seeds
A pinch of hing
1 spring curry leaves

Red chili powder 
1/2 tsp ginger grated
oil for frying

Method
Pressure cook the dal with turmeric and salt till soft. Remove from the cooker, add chili powder and chili, and keep it on a higher flame.

While the dal is cooking, mix all the ingredients for the dhokli, knead to form a dough, roll and cut into desired shapes.
Add dhokali to the dal one by one, and cook for 15 to 20 minute or till done.

Prepare tadka, and pour it over the dal dhokali mixture. Let it cook for another 5 minutes.


Great with rice, or just like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment