Sep 11, 2013

Falafel- the start of my love affair with Lebanese food

Fifteen years back, when I first moved to Bombay as a resident, one of the first things I fell in love with was Falafel. There was a Lebanese Point that delivered my my locality, and I don't think a single fortnight of my stay in that house went by without me ordering "one plate falafel and one packet pita bread" at least once. After we moved, it became something that could be indulged in only rarely, but indulge in it, I still did at every opportunity.
But did I ever think of making falafels? Oh no. That was something other people did. Not me.
And then Kiki Petriti posted a recipe for falafel, and I told myself that the worst thing that could happen was that it would become a disaster, and I tried it. It was with a lot of trepidation that I placed it in front of my husband, but within moments, he gobbled it all up, and was back demanding seconds.
A success, me thinks

250 grams chickpeas
1large onion
2 cloves garlic
½ cup Parsley, chopped
½ cup Coriander, chopped
1 tsp salt
½ tsp red chilli powder

2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tsp cumin
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
4 tablespoons self rising flour
Oil for frying




Soak chickpeas overnight in enough water.
The next day, drain and purée them. in a food processor little by little. (you can put a Tsp of water so you can work easily the mixture)
 We put the chickpeas purée into a bowl and set aside. In the food processor we add the onion (quartered), garlic, olive oil and lemon juice and puree them too.
We mix the chickpeas with the onion mixture and then we add the flourr, the spices, parsley and coriander and mix well. Cover with cling film and refrigerate for a few hours before frying.
We make round balls and fry them until browned on both sides.
Place them on paper towels to absorb the oil.
 

 Note: If the falafel mixture is not thick enough add some extra flour

No comments:

Post a Comment