Aug 23, 2013

Masala Foccacia Bread

I've always regarded baking bread as one of the ultimate culinary accomplishments. For a long time, I had excuses- lack of availability of yeast, no proper oven- but I ran out of excuses after we moved to our new home. With a spanking new OTG, and a grocery store that stocked practically everything, the only thing I had to confront was fear itself. Fear that it will be an unmitigated disaster, fear that I am not upto the task.
But the only way of dealing with Fear is by facing it head on, and that I did. Took a recipe from Tadka Pasta, because they never go wrong. And I confronted my deamon. The aroma of freshly baked bread was out of the world, and I had to physically restrain myself from tearing off chunks and popping it into my mouth long enough to take photographs.


1½ Cups lukewarm water
1 Heaped tablespoon active dry yeast
1 Teaspoon sugar
2½ Cups all-purpose flour or maida
1 Cup whole wheat flour or atta
2 Tablespoons olive oil plus more for drizzling
1½ Teaspoon salt
1 Cup coarsely grated cheddar cheese
A few packets of chilli flakes
Prepare a 13” x 9” baking pan by lining with parchment and greasing it well with the oil. Leave a little extra olive oil in the bottom and this will ensure a crunchy, golden crust.
Pour the lukewarm water into a large mixing bowl. To bring the yeast to life stir it into the water along with a teaspoon of sugar. The key to success is the temperature of the water – too hot, and you will kill the spores before they can work their magic, and if it is too cold the yeast will not be able to kindle to life.
Wait for about five minutes or until you see the liquid start to bubble up.
Now add the flours, salt and chilli powder to the liquid. Beat until smooth with an electric mixer, or by hand, using a sturdy spatula, for a minute or so.
Blend in the cheese.
Scrape the gooey mass into the prepared pan, and coax it towards the corners with your fingers dipping them into a bowl of water if it is sticky.
Cover the pan snugly with a kitchen towel and let it rise for an hour or so in a comfortably warm place.
Meanwhile pre-heat the oven to 350°F/180°C.
Once the bread has risen, gently poke the surface of the dough with your wet fingers to get the focaccia’s signature dimply look. Drizzle olive oil liberally over the top.
Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes, or until the bread is golden brown.
Let the bread cool in the pan for five minutes. Run a knife along the sides and turn out onto a cooling rack.
Cut into thick slabs, and serve warm.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Natasha,
    Thanks for visiting my blog and your words of appreciation. By the way, i too, fell in love with your blog. Loved the simplicity of your posts. Natasha, I am a self taught passionate bread baker. I saw and read each and every bread recipe in your blog ...and all can say is amazing! I loved them all.
    Keep in touch,
    Namita

    ReplyDelete