Aug 28, 2013

Gokulashtami Sweet Appams

My grandmother always made sweet appams on Janmashtami, and for the first time in my life, I decided to follow on her footsteps. I should have known better. Domestic Diva I will never be. After all that roasting and grinding and mixing and kneading, when I poured the batter into the hot oil, instead of the perfect circles I was expecting, I got maps of undiscovered continents.
In the entire batch, I got three appams that with a bit of imagination looked like what they were supposed to look like. I do, however love the taste, so will make it again with my trusty paniyaram pan.
I can only hope that the new born Krishna will be more concerned with the taste!



Raw flour - 3/4 cup
Grated coconut - 1/2 cup
Cardamom powder -1/4 tsp
Grated jaggery - 1 cup
Wheat flour - 1/4 cup + 1 1/2 tbsp
Oil for deep frying
Take the rice flour, grated coconut, cardamom powder and grind it to a smooth paste, adding a bit of water.
Add grated jaggery to it and mix well till it dissolves.
Add wheat flour and mix well .The appam batter should be of dosa batter consistency, so adjust accordingly.
Heat oil in a small kadai, keep it in medium flame, take a small amount of batter in a table spoon or small ladle and drop it gently into the oil.
When it puffs, turn over and cook the other side also till golden brown. Drain the oil using a slotted ladle and take it out from the kadai. Deep fry one appam at a time.
Repeat the same process for the rest of the batter.

No comments:

Post a Comment