Aug 19, 2013

Dal rotis- made with leftover dal

There is only so much that the mother of a fussy eater can take. I reached that point yesterday, and yelled, "is there anything at all that you like?". Pat came the reply, "I love that awesome paratha that you gave me in the old house!"
It took me a moment to figure out what he meant, but when I did, I was pleased- it was do rotis that he. Was taking about, and I happened to have a stash of leftover dal in the fridge that I didn't know what to do with.

3 measures whole wheat flour
2 measures leftover dal
1 tsp ghee
1/2 tsp salt

Mix the ingredients, and kneed till the dough is soft. You might have to vary the proportions depending on the consistency of the dal- I prefer to use more dal than less, because that's the easiest way to get the kids to have their proteins.
Keep aside for about 30 minutes (you can skip this, but it pays to let the flavours seep into the dough).
Roll into a long cylinder, and cut into the desired number of balls. Roll them into rotis, and cook on a tawa in low heat.
I like it with pickles, but the kids have it with dahi.

Make this, and you will be surprised how quickly the kids can eat if they really want to!

No comments:

Post a Comment