Aug 19, 2013

Aloo posto

Growing up in Calcutta, it is hard for you not to develop a taste for aloo posto. But once you move out of the city, and no longer have access to Bong food, it is hard not to forget many of the dishes you loved so much when you were young. And then, suddenly, you are reminded of them, and you want them, but there is nobody around to make it for you :-(
I got one filling of aloo posto when I visited Delhi, and my father-in-law's maid made it for me. But if I though it would satiate me, I was mistaken. It just left me panting for more. And I had to learn to make it myself. This was my first attempt- I followed the verbal instructions given by the maid- but I was later told to make changes to make it more authentic. Some of those changes I liked, some I didn't, and I am sticking to my version, even if it is not the authentic aloo posto.

 
3 medium potatos, peeled and cubed
4 tbsp khus khus/ posto
1 green chilli
1/2 tsp jeera/ kalonji/ panch poran (depending on personal preference)
A pinch of haldi powder (not used in the original version)
Salt to taste
Mustard Oil

Method
Soak about posto in warm water for 20 mins, then grind with green chillies. You can do it in a mixer, but I prefer the mortar and pestle- basically pound it till the chillis disintegrate.
Splutter jeera in a kadhai, add potato chunks and fry on a low flame till potatoes are done. Add the posto paste, salt to taste and haldi powder, mix well, cover the dish and let it cook for 5 minutes.
Top with some MO and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment