Dec 16, 2012

Spaghetti in spinach sauce

Green Sauce always meant pesto sauce, till I saw a recipe for spinach sauce in Runner Girl in the Kitchen's blog. While the rest of the dish seemed beyond my limited capacity, the sauce seemed like one I could pull off, so I attempted it for a Sunday lunch. And we all loved it!


Cook 250 gms spaghetti following the instructions on the packet. Drain and keep aside.
Blanch a bunch of spinach (keeping aside 3 or 4 leaves), and puree it in the mixer.
Chop 6-8 pods of garlic (you can add less- we all like the garlicy taste, so I go wild with it), and fry in 1 tbsp butter till well browned.
Meanwhile, make a smooth paste of 3 tbsp cornflour and water, keep aside
Grate cheese,LOTS, and keep aside
When garlic is browned, pour 2 1/2 cups of milk, and cornflour paste, and stir so no lumps are formed. Bring to boil, reduce the flame to low, add salt and pepper to taste, and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
Pour pureed spinach, and cook for 2 minutes. Add the grated cheese, and turn off the flame.

Grease a baking dish. Arrange the spinach leaves which had been kept aside at the bottom, and put the spaghetti on top. Pour the spinach sauce over it. Cover with a cling foil, and bake in oven at 200 for 5 mins (or in the microwave for 90 seconds).

You an also throw in fillings of your choice, though I prefer to keep it simple.
For the kids, I didn't line the baking dish with spinach leaves, and I grated some more cheese on top and grilled it.

No comments:

Post a Comment