Dec 12, 2012

Dal-dhokli


Nearly a quarter century back, on a family holiday in Goa, I tasted the most amazing dal-dhokli in a restaurant in Panjim. Though I have returned often to the city, I have never been able to locate the restaurant again, and in a quest spanning several years, I haven't found the same dal-dhokli at any other restaurant in Bombay, Ahmedabad, Baroda, Surat or Bhavnagar (you get the drift). In my more fanciful moments, I've even wondered if I actually tasted that, or if it was just the product of a few neurons getting signals mixed up.

So when I saw this recipe for dal-dhokli on a food forum, I had to make it. This is not a Dan Brown novel, and this is NOT the dal-dhokli I tasted. But, I liked it enough to know I will make it again.


Pressure cook 1 measure toor dal, with 1 tomato, a handful of peanuts, a half inch piece of ginger and 1/2 tsp haldi powder till soft.
While it is cooking, knead a dough with atta, kasuri methi (or spinach), 1/2 tsp chilli pwd, 1/2 tsp dhania pwd and salt to taste. Roll into thickish roties, cut into diamonds and keep aside.
In a tsp of ghee, temper 1 tsp mustard seeds, a few curry leaves, 1/2 tsp hing, 1 red chillie (broken), 1 tsp red chilli powder, 1/2 tsp each of zeera and dhania powder.
When a nice aroma comes, add the cooked dal, 1 tbsp jaggery, the juice of 1 lime and salt to taste.
Add dhoklis into the dal, and let it boil for about 2 mins, till properly cooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment