Dec 3, 2012

Maharashtrian Capsicum Subji

I learnt this from a live-in maid I had, who replicated it by taste based on a dish her mother used to make. Not at all sure of the authenticity, but we all like it.



Coarsely grind a handful of peanuts, two green chillies, and a tsp of zeera.
Chop 1 medium onion into small pieces and fry till transparent. Add the ground masala and give it a few stirs.
Chop three capsicums into large pieces, add to the onions and ground masala. Add salt to taste and 1 tsp haldi powder. Stir, cover and let it cook in its own steam till the capsicums are soft.
Tastes equally good with rotis and rice.

- the amount of peanuts you add depends on your taste- I like having a fair bit.
- my mixie was playing up so I ground using a mortar and pestle- it should actually be ground finer
- no khatta in this recipe, because it is apparently made on Fridays, when married women abstain from khatta to please Lakshmi

No comments:

Post a Comment