Nov 20, 2012

Basic fish curry (they way my mother in law makes it)

Confession time. Till I got married, I was too scared to cook non-veg food- not because the tendons and ligaments scared me (and they do many others), but because I was convinced I would end up poisoning everyone.
This was the second dish my m-i-l taught me to cook, and it never fails. Though, to be honest, I still prefer to tell my cook exactly how to make it, and leave it to her.










1 kg fish fillets

For marination:
Turmeric powder
Salt


For curry


3 medium onions
2 tsp ginger-garlic paste
1 1/2 grated tomatoes
 
1 tsp dhania powder
1 tsp red chilli powder,
1 tsp jeera powder
2 tej patta/ bay leaves
1 small stick cinnamon
4-6 cloves
 


Marinate fish fillets with turmeric and salt, and keep aside.

Grate the onions. Fry onions, 2 tsp ginger garlic paste, 1 tsp each of dhania powder, red chilli powder and zeera powder, 2 tej patta, small stick of cinnamon and 4-6 cloves. Add 1 1/2 grated tomatoes when the raw smell goes, and fry till the oil releases. Add water, and bring to boil


Meanwhile, on a tawa, fry the fish fillets*, and once the gravy is done, introduce into the gravy. 

Let it simmer for 2 to 3 minutes. 

Garnish with dhania patta and serve with steamed rice.



* you could also keep one or two fillets aside for eating as fried fish

No comments:

Post a Comment