Feb 22, 2014

Red Hot Chilli Pepper Jelly

Many moons back, I saw this recipe for "Red Hot Chili Pepper Jelly", and stored it away in the recesses of my memory. I knew making jams and jellys was complicated, and never thought I would ever progress to a level where I would be brave enough to try.
Coincidentally, a couple of days after my first successful attempt at jam making, I chanced upon these luscious red chili peppers at the vegetable vendor. On an impulse, I picked it up, and dug the recipe out. What can I say? It was well worth it!


1.5 Cups – 1″ sized pieces of Indian red pickle chillies, trimmed and seeds removed (I kept a few seeds on because I thought I would like it)
1 Cup Red Bell Pepper/capsicum chunks
1 apple, cored and chopped
1 Cup vinegar
2 Cups sugar
 
Method:
Place the chillies, pepper/capsicum and apple in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until coarsely mashed. Transfer the mixture (along with any juices) to a heavy-bottomed, high-sided pan. Add the vinegar and sugar. Stir well and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring often, for about 25-30 minutes or until the jelly thickens. A tiny bit of jelly when placed on a frozen plate will appear to be set, rather than runny. 

The jelly will thicken as it cools, do not overcook or else it will get  too tight and hard to spread.
Ladle the jelly into clean glass jars and allow to cool before covering.

The possibilities are endless- I can visualise slathering the jelly on a slice of bread, topping with grated cheese and biting in!

No comments:

Post a Comment