Jul 4, 2014

Aloo subji- Mum style

At our place, Sunday Lunch was always Puri-Aloo subji. My father and I would be sitting at the table, and my mother would make puris for us, garam-garam. We'd vie with each other to grab the plumpest one- a fruitless endeavour because they were all really plump. And finally, she'd join us and have the last few puris that she made for herself.

So, on her last night at our place, I wanted to return the compliment, and serve her garam-garam Puri-Aloo. But since it was a surprise, I had to invent the recipe myself, and I did a fairly good job, I think. Based partially on my recipe for aloo palya.


5 large potatoes boiled
1 medium onion chopped fine
1 green chillie
1 inch piece ginger, chopped fine
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp channa dal
1 sprig curry leaves
1 tsp haldi powder
salt to taste
1 tbsp oil

Method:
Heat the oil, and temper mustard seeds, ginger, channa dal, green chillies and curry leaves.
Once the mustard stops spluttering, add chopped onions and saute till they turn transparent. Add salt and haldi and stir for about a minute.
In the meantime, cut half the potatoes into eighth's and mash the rest of the potatoes.
Add the potatoes, and about 1/2 cup water. Once the water boils, lower the heat, cover and let it cook for about 5 minutes.
Serve with piping hot puris.

No comments:

Post a Comment