Jun 27, 2015

Elephant foot fry

My friend Ameeta used to get this for me often. The first time I had it, I thought it was fish fry, but even after I knew what it was, I could get fooled. Tricky to make, but well worth it.
1 yam/ suran/ elephant foot
1 tsp haldi powder
1 tsp red chill powder
1 tsp garam masala powder
Salt to taste
2 tbsp rawa
Cooking oil

Method:
Wash the yam, clean it well, peel off the skin and cut into slices that resemble fillets. This is the tricky part, because yam itches- wear gloves or cost your palms with oil. 
Boil 2 cups water with a little salt. When it comes to a boil, add yam slices, and cook on a low flame for 5 minutes till 75% cooked- you should be able to prick with a fork, but it shouldn't break apart. 
Drain, dip in cold water and keep aside. 
Make a paste of the spices with a bit of water. Smear over the yam slices, and marinate for 15 minutes. 
Heat some oil in a pan. Cost the yam with rawa, and shallow fry on both sides till crisp and brown. 
Serve hot, with a slice of lime. 


No comments:

Post a Comment