Jun 10, 2015

Tomato rice- Tamilian meets Continental

Just before we were leaving Bombay, my sons' friend threw them a party, where he cooked himself. The main dish was what my son called tomato rice, and I decided to rustle it up for lunch today. Ideally, I would have used fresh basil, but since the only herbs I have is kaddipatta, it became a fusion dish. With potato wafers, it was quite a tasty dish.


1 cup rice soaked
3 large tomatoes
4 pods garlic
Kaddipatta
1 tsp paprika powder
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
Oil 
Salt to taste
3 tbdp grated cheese

Method:
Heat 2 tsp oil, splitter the mustard seeds. 
Add garlic and sauté till browned
Add kaddipatta and tomatoes and sauté till mushy. Add paprika powder and mix well. 
Add soaked rice and double the quantity of water and salt to taste. Cover and let it cook till rice is done. 
Add half the grated cheese and mix well. Sprinkle the other half over the dish and grill in an oven for 2-3 minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment