Aug 9, 2014

Imli-pudina chutney

We were relaxing one Saturday evening, when some friends called up and told us they were dropping in for dinner. Too late to really cook a well planned meal, I decided to throw together whatever I had and make do. Luckily there were some dahi vadas in the freezer, so all I had to do was whip up some imli chutney. Since I didn't have enough pudina for a green chutney, I added some to the imli chutney, to get my own imli chutney with a twist.

1/3 cup dates cut lengthwise
2 tbsp tamarind concentrate
1 sprig mint
3 tbsp jaggary
1/2 tsp Sonth/ Dry ginger powder
1/2 tsp jeera
1 tsp red chilli powder
3/4 cup water
 
Method
Boil the water, add the chopped dates, and simmer for about 10 minutes till the dates are really soft and can be mashed.
Meanwhile, roast the jeera separately, powder coarsely and keep aside.
Add jaggery and tamarind concentrate to the mashed dates, and simmer for 5 minutes. Add salt, red chili powder, roasted cumin seeds powder, and dry ginger powder.
Cool, add the mint leaves and grind till smooth. Pour it back into the pot, and give it one final boil.





No comments:

Post a Comment