Jan 2, 2013

Traditional Gazpancho

My quest for cold soups has taken me to places I never thought I would visit on a culinary trip (not that I ever thought I would want to go on a  culinary trip in the first place). Gazpancho is apparently an Andalusian peasant dish, and is made using stale bread, tomatoes, garlic, vinegar and olive oil. I loved it so much, that I know I am going to have it for lunch at least once a week till I tire of it.

Take 1 cup of stale bread and soak in cold water for 15 minutes.
Cover 2 pods garlic with water in a pan, bring to boil, cook for three minutes. Keep aside.
Cut 500 gms tomatoes, half a small cucumber and half a small bell pepper into large pieces and put in a blender. Drain excess water from bread and add it to the veggies. Add the garlic, 2 tbsp organic vinegar, and blend tilll smooth.
With the blender still running, add 2 tbsp olive oil in a slow, steady stream, blending till emulsified. Add water, if required.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Refrigerate gazpacho until chilled, at least 3 hours (or up to 1 day).
Serve cold with croutons and a drizzle of olive oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment