Aug 21, 2015

Parsley pesto

I bought a huge bunch of parsley at the supermarket, and fell ill before I could use it properly. Ten days after it came home, I remembered the bunch that was languishing in the fridge, and wondered if I could do something with it. Using it as a garnish was out- I would never finish it in time, and I have too much dry parsley to attempt to dry it. Why not make a pesto I wondered, and when I googled I found that there was indeed something called parsley pesto which was native to some parts of Italy and used mainly in winters when basil was not readily available. I had all the ingredients, so why not just make it.

1 bunch parsley
2 slices stale bread
6-8 cloves garlic/ 1 tbsp garlic paste
Zest of 1 lime
2 tbsp lime juice (less if you are using commercial garlic paste)
1/2 cup olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Method:
Pulse the bread, till you get fine bread crumbs.
Blend all the ingredients till you get a smooth pesto. Remove into an airtight container.

For storing, add a layer of oil above the pesto, before closing the lid.

Tastes great with tomatoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment