May 23, 2014

Gavarfali Subji

Whenever I go to the vegetable market, I see bunches of gavarfali lovingly tied together with a rubber band (or a piece of twine). For the longest time, I didn't even know what it was called, and even after I found out, I could never understand why people seemed to treat it with so much reverence. To me, it seemed just like a rustic version of beans (a vegetable none of us is fond of).
Yesterday, however, I decided to be a little more adventurous, and bought a bunch of gavarfali. Now I know why people swear by the vegetable!


250 gms gavarfali (cluster beans)
1/2 tsp jeera
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
a pinch of hing
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1 sprig curry leaves
1 tsp oil
salt to taste

For the curd mixture
1/2 cups curds
2 tsp dhania powder
2 tsp chilli powder
1/4 tbsp besan
salt to taste
Method
String the gavarfali by removing the ends and edged fibre.
Pressure cook the gavarfali in 1 cup of water for 2 whistles. Keep aside.
Combine the curds, coriander powder, chilli powder, gram flour and salt and whisk well.
Heat the oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds, mustard seeds, asafoetida and fennel seeds.
Add the curd mixture, curry leaves, 2 tablespoons of water and salt and stir continuously.
Let the mixture simmer for 5 minutes.
Add the gavarfali along with the water used to pressure cook it. and mix well.
Cook the subzi for a few minutes more.
Serve hot with rotis.

No comments:

Post a Comment