May 23, 2014

Baigan bharta

Though married to a Punjabi, I have never attempted to make Baigan bharta- not because I don't like it (because I do), or because hubby doesn't like it (he does too), but because I've never been too keen on cleaning up after making it. However, since I had decided that the kitchen needed a good scrubbing, it made sense to make this. Surprisingly, it didn't leave the kitchen in as much of a mess as I thought it would, so I am definitely making it again.

1 large baigan
1 medium onion
1 medium tomatoes
1/2 tsp ginger paste
1/2 tsp jeera
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
2 tbsp oil
salt to taste

Method
Coat the baigan with oil, and roast on a open flame turning every 2 minutes till the surface is well charred, and the smokey aroma fills the kitchen. Pop it in a bowl of water to cool, then peel off the charred skin, and mash the flesh.
Meanwhile, chop the onions and tomatoes.
Heat oil, add jeera, and once it stops spluttering add the onions and saute till transparent. Add ginger paste, tomatoes, chilli powder, and saute till tomatoes are well cooked. 
Add the mashed baigan and salt to taste, and saute for 4-5 minutes till well cooked.
Garnish with dhania patta and serve hot with rotis.

No comments:

Post a Comment