Apr 30, 2014

Koliwadi curry with coconut and coriander


I discovered this recipe soon after moving to Mumbai in 2008, and fell in love with it. The original was witha Koliwadi recipe for shrimps, but since I don't have them, I substituted it with baby potatoes. It was lovely, and I have made it several times since. It is one of my favourite dishes to make when I have people over, since it is so very simple and effective. Though I am making it after a couple of years, it was every bit as good as I remembered.


3 tbsp cooking oil
1 onion, grated
½ tsp haldi powder
6 whole cardamom pods, lightly crushed to split open
1 tsp chilli powder
1 cinnamon stick
2 tsp ginger- garlic paste
1 bunch fresh coriander
1 small coconut, grated
salt to taste

Method:
Boil the baby potatoes, peel, prick and keep aside.
Saute onions for 2-3 minutes until softened but not coloured, then add the turmeric, cardamom pods and chilli powder. Cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant, stirring constantly.
Add cinnamon, tomatoes and garlic-ginger paste, and saute for another 1-2 minutes until the tomatoes have softened
Meanwhile, reserve a few coriander sprigs for garnish and blend the remainder with the grated coconut.

Stir the ground gravy into the sauteed onions, mix well, add water and salt, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 1-2 minutes, then stir in the potatoes. Continue to simmer for a minute, stirring constantly.
Garnish with the reserved coriander sprigs and serve with rice or chapattis.

No comments:

Post a Comment