Apr 30, 2014

Dali Toy- comfort food from the Konkan

I first had Dali Toy in Delhi the winter before last, and though I loved it and decided to try it myself soon, I never quite got down to doing so. So when I was hosting the lady who introduced me to Dali Toy, I decided I couldn't put it off much longer.
Having made it, I wonder why it took me so long before attempting it!

 
1 cup toor dal
1/4 tsp hing
1 green chillie slit
salt to taste
 
For the tempering
1/4 tsp mustard
2 dry red chillies
1 sprig of curry leaves
2 tsp coconut oil

Method:
Wash the Toor dal well and pressure cook with sufficient water and green chillies till well done (20 minutes after the first whistle works for me)
Place the dal back on the fire, add salt, hing and water to get the desired consistency. Bring the dal to a boil
In another pan heat 2 tsp coconut oil and add the mustard, when they splutter add the curry leaves and broken red chillies and toss them about. Do not allow the chillies to burn. Immediately add this seasoning to the dal and cover. Turn off the flame and serve piping hot with rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment