Nov 16, 2013

Masoor dal with cauliflower leaves- the Ayurveda way

Everytime I buy a cauliflower, I end up paying for a whole lot of leaves that I never use. What if the leaves could be cooked separately, I asked myself, and decided to experiment. As luck would have it, I found this nice recipe for an Ayurvedic soup, which I adapted to make this dal.
The jury is out on whether we liked it or not.
 
1 cup red masoor dal
Leaves of 1 cauliflower, chopped fine
Haldi powder
1 inch piece of ginger
1 tbsp ghee
1/2 tsp coriander powder
Salt to taste
 
For the tempering 
1/2 tsp of Whole Cumin/Whole Jeera
1/2 tsp of Whole Fennel/Whole Saunf,
6-7 whole Fenugreek seeds/Whole Methi seeds
and a pinch of asafoetida/Hing.

 
Method
Pressure cook the dal with cabbage leaves, haldi and sufficient water, till well cooked. 
Heat the ghee, and temper the ingredients listed under "for the tempering". Pour the tempering over the cooked dal.
Grate the ginger, and add to the dal along with the coriander powder, and salt to taste. Add about 2 cups of water, and let the dal come to a boil.
Adjust for seasonings, and squeeze juice of a lime quarter.
Serve with rice/ rotis, or drink it as a soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment