Nov 1, 2013

Diwali ke Chiwda (with puffed rice)

My mother always tried to make five sweets and five savouries for Diwali. I am not in her league, nor aspire to be, but I did want to make a total of five things for Diwali this year. This may or may not count as a "thing" in her books, but as far as I am concerned, it does.

Adapted from the basic chiwda I first made a couple of months back, I basically used whatever ingredients were on hand. And the result was quite pleasing.

1 cup puffed rice
1/2 cup corn puffs
4 tbsp peanuts
red chilli powder
haldi powder
salt
cooking oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1 sprig curry leaves
1 tsp powdered sugar

Dry roast the puffed rice till nice and crispy and keep aside (skip this step if the puffed rice is already crisp).
Heat the oil in a thick kadhai, splutter the mustard seeds, add the curry leaves, then add the peanuts and lightly fry till done.
Add the puffed rice and the corn puffs, the red chilli powder, haldi powder and sugar and heat with constant stirring till the grains are all well coated.
Turn off the flame, add 1 tsp powdered sugar, mix well. Allow it to cool before storing in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment