Jan 3, 2015

Teratipal

Growing up, Teratipal was one if the few traditional Tamilian desserts I liked. Over the years, the taste waned, but lately, I have been wanting to taste it. 
Since it is not easily available in sweet shops, and because leaving things to slow cook is not something I shy away from, I decided to make it myself. 
Now, my mother makes the second best Teratipal in the world (the best being her mother), so I am spoilt. But, this wasn't too bad, if I say so myself!

1 litre milk
1/3 cup sugar*

Method:
In a thick bottomed vessel, bring the milk to boil. 
Reduce the flame, and keep it cooking till the volume reduces to 1/4th. In the meantime, every time the top thickens, mix it well to bring it back to the centre. 
When volume reduces, add sugar, and continue cooking till the water released by the sugar dries up completely. 
Serve hot or cold. 

*- I used a bit less

No comments:

Post a Comment